Electronic Music DJ Course | New York
Our split-level Electronic Music DJ course gets you directly into the club, if you can prove your mettle and are up to the challenge, that is. Every single student who has taken the course in LA has gone on to perform in the club, and we are looking forward to seeing what our NY crew can do! Our Electronic Music DJ course is designed for absolute beginners, as well as those who have already played around at home, who would like to learn proper techniques on the latest professional equipment and brands such as Pioneer Nexus and Native Instruments, as taught by our expert roster of Electronic DJ instructors. Group sizes are capped at only four students to ensure maximum playing time for each student. If you are looking to play electronic music genres such as Trance, Main Room, Trap, and Progressive, then this is the course for you!
We have made this extensive course distinct from our Underground DJ course to ensure that students are grouped in a like-minded environment with instructors who have practical experience in the electronic music scene. This means no dirty looks from fanatic techno instructors for playing a song with a vocal in it! We believe that learning to DJ should be FUN, not frustrating! Part of this means focusing on the music YOU want to play.
For students coming to NYC from out of town to take the course, please keep in mind that our club night is not always scheduled immediately following the course end date. If you are unable to make your scheduled club night, we can still include you in a future lineup!
Get set, go!
- Setting up equipment, and getting ready to go
- Mixing essentials
- Bars and beats
- Beat matching introduction
- Understanding the structure of electronic music
Arrangement of electronic music
- Pitch and recognizing dissonance (aka clashing)
- Knowing when to mix in and mix out
- Key differences between Trap/Bass and ‘Four-On-The-Floor’
- Track selection
- Putting songs in order
- Timing your mixes
- Common FX
- Dos and don’ts: FX during the mix
Pro hardware and software
- CDJ Nexus
- Technics SL-1210 vinyl turntables
- Rane Serato Scratch
- Mixed In Key
- Refining your set
- How to mix acapellas
- Gauging the crowd and having a backup plan
Advanced mixing & digital tricks
- Triggering and sampling
- Delay and reverb in the mix
- Looping and making your own mash-ups on the spot
- Impact mixing with FX and levels
- Body language
Advanced set building & improvisation
- Out-of-the-box song selection
- Changing tempo
- Music programming
Before your show
- Recording and submitting your set
- Marketing and self-promotion
After your show
- Keeping the momentum and booking more events
- EPK tips
- Developing your sound and style
Schedules are coming soon! To receive a notification when they are posted, sign up to our newsletter posted at the top right of this page. We won’t barrage you with emails, you can unsubscribe at any time, and we never share customer data, ever. If you have any questions about our Electronic Music DJ program or any of our other courses, feel free to send us a message.
Check out feedback from students who took the Electronic Music Producer Diploma in LA, now available in NY.